Fenugreek leaves and green pea rice is a very simple and nutritious lunch recipe. I was planning to make matar pulao but then fresh fenugreek leaves lying in my fridge prompted me to use them so i could not drop the idea and at once, i planned to use it alongwith green peas. When not in season, make with two tablespoons of dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi) readily available in all grocery stores.
Preparation time:30 min.
Cooking time:20 min.
- 2 cups rice (soaked for 1/2 hr)
- 3 tblsp oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 green cardamom
- 1" cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tblsp ginger-garlic-green chilli paste
- 1 cup onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup fresh fenugreek leaves (chopped)
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add whole spices and cumin seeds, cook till nice aroma of spices comes out.
- Add ginger-garlic-green chilli paste and saute for 30 sec.
- Add onions and cook till light golden in colour.
- Next add fenugreek leaves and cook till the water released is completely absorbed.
- Add green peas and rice and mix well.
- Add 3 cups of water, cover and pressure cook till 1 whistle.
- Serve hot with curd or pickle.