Rajma masala with rice is a very popular dish of north-india (Punjab). It is the favourite of everyone at my home. Rajma or kidney beans are a great source of protein and being a vegetarian, it becomes a necessity to cook these often. Two varieties of rajma are available in india. One is lighter called 'chitra rajma' and other one is darker known as 'jammu rajma'. In this recipe, i have used the lighter one which i find more tastier.
Preparation time: 15 min.
Cooking time: 1 hr.
Cuisine: North-indian (punjabi)
- 1 cup red kidney-beans (rajma)
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic-green chilli paste
- 2 onion (sliced)
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- fresh coriander (to garnish)
- Wash and soak kidney beans in 5-6 cups of water overnight.
- Heat oil in a pan, add ginger-garlic-green chilli paste and cook for 30 sec.
- Add sliced onions and cook till golden brown in colour.
- Remove from flame and let it cool.
- Grind together browned onions and tomatoes to make a smooth paste.
- Add all the spices to the same pan and cook for a few seconds.
- Next, add the ground paste into the pan and mix well.
- Cook this mixture till oil seperates.
- Now add soaked rajma into the cooked masala and mix well.
- Add the above masala coated rajma into a pressure cooker alongwith 4 cups of water.
- Pressure cook till one whistle and then simmer for 30 min.
- Add garam masala and garnish with fresh chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.
- Kidney beans can be boiled seperately first and then the masala can be mixed. But I like to make my rajma the way i shared.
- If u forget to soak the rajma at night. Next morning, soak these in hot water for an hour and use in the recipe.
- Adjust the quantity of water according to the thickness of curry you like.