Making mango pickle is a homely ritual in most of the households during summer. Mango pickle is a tangy and spicy condiment which adds an extra zing to your meals. The best thing about mango pickle is that it goes along very well with any meal of the day whether its paranthas in breakfast or chhole puri in lunch or biryani in dinner. There are many childhood memories associated with making mango pickle when i used to help my mother in spreading raw mango pieces for drying in sun light and grinding spices for it. I am very fond of all kinds of mango pickles but this one is my all-time favourite. I hate buying pickles from market which are more acidic and are prepared with added preservatives. Home-made pickles are best as they are hygenically prepared and are preserved using salt and mustard oil.
Today i am sharing my mom's recipe of mango pickle which can be stored for upto a year.
- 3 kg raw mangoes
- 3 cups salt
- 6 tbsp red chilli powder
- 3 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup fennel seeds (saunf)
- 100 gms fenugreek seeds(methi)
- 100 gms yellow mustard seeds(sarson)
- 3 tbsp onion seeds (kalonji)
- 1 tsp asafoetida (heeng)
- 500 ml mustard oil
- Wash the raw mangoes thoroughly and pat dry using a kitchen cloth.
- Cut each mango into 8 pieces of 1" size each.
- Dry the pieces in sunlight for few hours.
- Coarsely ground fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds and mustard seeds.
- Mix together all the spices with salt.
- Put all the spice mixture over the dried mango pieces.
- Pour mustard oil over them and use your hands to mix them thoroughly over all the mango pieces.
- Put all the marinated raw mango pieces into sterilized container.
- Keep in sunlight for few days until the mango pieces get pickled and become soft and juicy.
- Enjoy with roti, parantha or rice.
- Always sterilize the container with hot water and then dry in sunlight to remove all the moisture before storing mango pickle into it.
- Mix the pickle every day using a dry spoon and press them tightly to remove any air pockets for few days.
- Always insure to keep the pickle immersed in mustard oil at all times.
- Never use a wet spoon to take out the pickle.
- Keep in sunlight once a month after it is fully prepared.