Preparation time: 10 min.
Cooking time: 50 min.
- 1 cup toor dal
- 4 cups vegetables (pumpkin, bottlegourd, carrot, cauliflower)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup tamarind pulp
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (sarson)
- 2-3 dry red chillies
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1 pinch asafoetida (heeng)
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste (crushed)
- 1/2 cup onions (chopped)
- 1/2 cup tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tbsp sambhar masala
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp oil
- fresh coriander (to garnish)
- Pressure cook dal with 4 cups of water and salt till 2 whistles.
- Add diced vegetables and pressure cook for 1 whistle and immediately let all the pressure released from the cooker to stop the cooking process of the vegetables.
- Add tamarind pulp in the cooked dal and vegetables mix and let it simmer.
- Meanwhile prepare the tempering, heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, let it splutter.
- Add dry red chillies and curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Next, add onions and ginger-garlic paste and saute for 2-3 min.
- Add sambhar masala, red chilli powder and salt and mix well.
- Add tomatoes and cook till they are tender not mushy.
- Add the tempering to the boiling sambhar and cook for couple of min. more.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with idli, dosa or rice alongwith coconut chutney.
- Consistency of the sambhar can be altered according to personal liking depending upon the amount of water added.
- To make tamarind pulp, take 2 tbsp full of tamarind and soak in half cup of water for 2-3 hrs and then extract the pulp easily using a strainer.